The Institute of American Studies is looking for a
University Assistant with doctorate
(30 hours a week; fixed-term employment for the period of 2 years; position to be filled as of September 1st, 2021 )
- Research and publication activities, including the possibility of writing a postdoctoral thesis (Habilitation) in American Studies
- Participation in research projects in American literary and cultural studies
- Teaching assignments in American Studies, especially in literary history and literary theory, but also in cultural studies
- Organizational and administrative tasks for the Institute of American Studies, including student advising
- Cooperation with research partners in Austria and abroad
- Ph.D. in American Studies; or equivalent academic qualifications
- Extensive knowledge of recent American Studies theories and of American literature (all genres) and culture from the beginnings to the present
- Research experience (as shown in the dissertation, in publications, and/or in conference papers) in at least two of the following areas would be appreciated: ethnic literatures, gender studies, Early American Studies
- Substantial experience in university contexts (including university-level teaching and administration)
- Experience and expertise in editing scholarly texts and in preparing such texts for professional publication
- Excellent knowledge of English and German (written and spoken)
- Research-oriented mindset
- Strong interest in interdisciplinary research
- High level of scholarly motivation and goal orientation
- Social competence, particularly the ability to work in teams
- Organizational skills
- Ability to take initiative and to work independently
Salary scheme of the Universitäten-KV (University Collective Agreement): B1
The minimum salary as stated in the collective agreement and according to the classification scheme is EUR 2959.40 gross/month. This minimum salary may be higher due to previous employment periods eligible for inclusion and other earnings and remunerations.
We offer you a job with a lot of responsibility and variety. You can expect an enjoyable work climate, flexible work hours and numerous possibilities for further education and personal development. Take advantage of the chance to enter into a challenging work environment full of team spirit and enthusiasm for your job.
Application Deadline: May 5th 2021
Reference Number: MB/91/99 ex 2020/21
The University of Graz strives to increase the proportion of women in particular in management and faculty positions and therefore encourages qualified women to apply.
Especially with regard to academic staff, we welcome applications from persons with disabilities who meet the requirements of the advertised position.
If you are interested, please submit your application documents (CV, certificates, etc.) before the stated deadline. Make sure to indicate the reference number on your application to:
Your application must include (a) your dissertation, (b) two publications or conference talks, (c) a description of a current or planned research project (up to 500 words), (d) a syllabus of an American Studies class you have taught, (e) your curriculum vitae, and (f) other relevant documents pertaining to your academic degrees and employment. Please submit all materials in English (possible exceptions: (a) and (f)).