Deadline: May 2, 2022
2 Assistantships (60%) in North American and General Literature
As of August 1, 2022, the Department of English at the University of Basel is looking for two 60% assistants in North American and General Literature (with Prof. Philipp Schweighauser). You will work in a vibrant and research-active department. The conditions of employment are based on the regulations of the University of Basel. Assistant positions are fixed term (1+3 years).
Candidates should have an MA degree in English or American Studies and a sustained interest in literary and cultural theory.
The successful applicant will
- write their PhD thesis, publish academic articles, give conference talks, attend relevant conferences, and spend one year at a research institution in the U.S.
- teach 2 hours per semester on the BA level
- perform administrative duties, such as study counselling and active involvement in the planning and organization of departmental structures, processes, and courses of study
- support Schweighauser in his academic work and administrative duties
In one PDF file, applicants should send in
- a cover letter
- their CV
- a piece of writing of no more than 30 pages that best represents the applicant’s research, e.g. a seminar paper, a chapter of their M.A. thesis or an article
- a sketch of a PhD project
- copies of university diplomas
by May 2. Please address your correspondence to Kathrin Eckerth (firstname.lastname@example.org) in one PDF file.