50% TV-L E13, fixed term for three years, start April 1, 2024
Deadline: October 31, 2023
2 Doctoral Teaching and Research Positions (50%)
Chair of American Literature, Amerika-Institut, LMU Munich
The Chair of American Literature is looking for two doctoral researchers to join the team. The positions will start on 1 April 2024 and will run for an initial period of three years.
Depending on experience, the candidate’s responsibilities and tasks will include:
- Teaching one or two courses (2 – 4 hrs/week) per semester in American Studies
- developing and completing a Ph.D. project in the following fields: American drama/theater; diaspora studies/Black Atlantic literatures; photography and visual culture studies; concepts of space/place and notions of the public sphere in American culture;
- developing and organizing academic programs and events, collaborating on joint research/publication projects
Candidates for this position are required to have:
- above-average academic degree (Master’s) that entitles the holder to pursue a doctorate in American Studies
- excellent written and spoken English
- excellent communication and organization skills and the ability to work well in a team
- strong German language skills
The positions are part-time (50%, tariff level E13) and begin on 1 April 2024. Depending on the candidates’ previous contracts with German universities the successful candidates will be hired for an initial period of three years depending on the German Act of Fixed-Term Employment. The positions suit candidates who would like to gain experience working in the academic context and who are working on their first book projects.
This job is based in the city center of Munich. Working hours are flexible and LMU Munich offers a family-friendly working environment. As the candidates will be state employees, they are required to sign up for German health insurance and make contributions to the German tax and social welfare system. We especially seek applications from qualified individuals with disabilities and welcome applications from women.
To apply, please send a two-page letter of motivation (including your contact information), CV, exposé of the dissertation project (no longer than 10 pages) in a single PDF document to Kerstin.Schmidt@lmu.de by 31 October 2023, writing “doctoral teaching and research position” into the email header’s subject line. Interviews will take place in early December 2023. Please understand that confirmations of receipt and interim correspondence cannot be sent.
All submitted application documents will be destroyed in accordance with data protection regulations after the hiring process has been completed.